Quintana out Friday Night!
June 1st, 2009
According to Lou Dibella, Carlos Quintana has pulled out of the main event on this week’s edition of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights. The card, originally scheduled in Chicago has since been moved to the Mahi Shrine in Miami, FL. While at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino last night, Dibella said that Quintana came down with the flu and had to pull out but mentioned Harry Joe Yorgey as a possible future opponent. Earlier this year and unexpected injury forced Quintana to pull out of another ESPN fight against Eromosele Albert.
As for this week’s ESPN card, promoted by Richie Boy Entertainment, no new opponent for Danny Perez has been announced yet and there has also been a change in the co feature. A fight between two highly regarded prospects from Miami, Joey Hernandez and Damian “Devo” Frias for the WBC Latino Welterweight title has been scrapped. Frias, ranked 15th by the WBC, pulled off the card after a fiasco with the contract. According to Frias’ manager, Si Stern, their was a verbal agreement for the fight to take place at 147 lbs. for the WBC Latino Welterweight title. However, the contract sent to Stern’s office had the fight taking place at 154 lbs. “Hernandez is ranked by the WBC as a welterweight and has never even had a fight in the division.” Stern said. “Joey called Devo out and we were ready to give him his first loss. They moved this fight all around the country and now they pull this shit. We agreed to a fight at 147 for the title not 154.” Two possible replacements for Hernandez, ranked 17th by the WBC, is WBC CABOFE champion Ed Paredes and former world title challenger Cosme Rivera.